social justice activities
How You Can Make a Difference NOW.
In the past days, since the 2016 election, many of us have felt the need to try to make a difference on the issues of most importance to us: Standing Rock, human rights, immigration, climate change, the electoral college, and others. We will be posting action-related links and information to information about these issues that can be of use immediately so that Friends can act. Pass information on if you want something to be posted.
- Call the North Dakota Governor and ask him to: Protect the right to protest in North Dakota by vetoing House Bill 1304 and House Bill 1426. Non-violent demonstrators shouldn’t face exorbitant fines and felony charges or be forced to suffer from tear gas. Veto bills that threaten the constitutional right to protest. (2/18/2017)
- Updates on the fight to keep Affordable Care Act! Join national FCNL call to learn status! Call is 1/31/2017 at 5 pm PST.
- Quaker Power and Light (FCNL-- 1/28/2017)
- Fight against the Muslim ban by contacting your members of Congress! We stand with immigrants and refugees! (1/27/2017)
- Support the "Restricting First Use of Nuclear Weapons Act" to keep Trump from putting us into a nuclear war! (1/25/2017)
- Oppose the repeal of the Affordable Care Act by calling your member of Congress. (1/5/2017)
- Stop the killing in Syria. (12/19/16)
- Oppose Repeal of Affordable Care Act. (12/19/16)
- Oppose the development of a national religious registry by asking your representative to support legislation introduced by Rep. Suzan DelBene (WA) to prohibit its creation based on religious affiliation. (11/28/16)
- Urge your US Representative to end the immigration detention bed quota as soon as possible! Congress now requires U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to maintain 34,000 bed spaces in immigration detention centers each day. This can be changed! (11/20/16)
Preparing for the Future.
Overall Meeting activities. Berkeley Friends Meeting has a long history of social justice activities, including organizing and maintaining draft counseling services for many years out of our Meetinghouse. These activities follow Quaker testimonies of peace, equality, and harmony with nature.
Social and Environmental Action Committee meets on the first week of the month, on First Day (Sunday) at 1 pm in the Meeting Library to discuss and plan social justice activities for the Meeting.
Regular activities each week include:
- Circle of Concern vigil to protest the involvement of the University of California in the development of nuclear weapons, every First Day (Sunday) at 1- 2 pm at the west entrance to UC Berkeley and 12- 1 pm on Thursdays.
- Vigil against the death penalty is the 2nd Tuesday of each month at the North Berkeley BART Station.
- Letter writing on important issues of the day
Quaker-related organizations and activities. Meeting members and attenders participate in a wide variety of Quaker organizations that are involved in social justice activities. These include:
- American Friends Service Committee (West Region Office, located in San Francisco)
- Friends Committee on Legislation- California
- Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Quaker United Nations Office
Individual concerns. In addition, individual members and attenders have their own, wide range of activities in which they participate and in which others also participate. These include anything from climate change, food security, wildlife preservation, gun control, peace and many more.